Sports have no secrets for us, or at least, that’s what we think with all these available information about everything. But, if you take a closer look, there are lot of interesting facts unknown or forgotten about sports.
1. At the first modern Olympics, winners were awarded silver medals.
source: Getty Images
2. The Phillippines has competed in the most Summer Olympics (20) without winning a gold medal.
3. The phrase about winning something “hands down” originally referred to a jockey who won a race without whipping his horse or pulling back the reins.
4. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, the creator of Sherlock Holmes, played goalie for the amateur Portsmouth Association Football Club, which would eventually become the Portsmouth Professional Team that won the FA Cup in 2008.
5. In 1974, Chris Evert was the top money winner in two sports. Chrissy, as she was affectionately known, won the French open and Wimbledon and led the WTA money list. Then there was Chris Evert, the horse, named after the female tennis star, who won the three-year-old filly of the year award.
6. Four presidents have been on the cover of Sports Illustrated: John F. Kennedy, Gerald Ford, Ronald Reagan (twice) and Bill Clinton.
7. The first Winter Olympic Games were held in Chamonix, France in 1924.
8. Olympic gymnastics competition for women was introduced
We hope you like it,
Victory Hangers™ Team